Wednesday, July 9, 2014

The Static Park Questionnaire 13 – Clive Henry

 Clive Henry

01 What is your name / age / nationality ?

Clive Henry, 39, born in Southampton, England.

02 How did you get into noise ?

I was into thrash and death as a teen, before getting into indie and "industrial" stuff. when i say industrial, I mean the whole Wax Trax/Jourgensen projects thing; but this led me to "real" industrial: TG's Heathen Earth, SPK's Leichenschrei and I got Einsturzende Neubauten's Tabula Rasa when it came out. However, I got nothing at all from any of these albums at the time...

In my earliest twenties, I was lucky enough to be in a short-lived band with Andrew Clare of I'm Being Good and after the band dissipated, we kept in touch. I'd order tapes off his amazing Infinite Chug label, and he'd stuff the packages full of flyers for zines and other labels. I thus started exploring the UK tape/zine scene and discovered labels like Matching Head, Kylie Productions, Fiend Recordings, etc.

In the year before I'd met andrew, I'd borrowed a 4-track for the first time and proceeded to make very noisy recordings, but none that were "noise"; however, really excited by the things I was discovering via the flyers, I started a zine with friends and saved up for a 4-track. Since then, to the present day, I've done zines and recordings that fit into my antiquated notion of what "noise" comprises. However, ironically, its only really been in the last couple of years that I've really got into "traditional" Noise (capital "n"), but all things come to those who wait. (As a footnote, I have a recording SOMEWHERE of feedback, drum machine and hoover from maybe '92/'93 that I'd kill to find….)

03 How did you choose the name of your project / What does it mean to you ?

I started off many years back with a multitude of different projects, each with a different name; before combining them all under the Littlecreature moniker. As documented elsewhere (Musique [Machine] interview), I went through a charming period of introspection and dissection a couple of years ago and came out deciding to use the name that my parents gave me at birth. Thus the name of my project is an existential headfuck.

04 Which one of your releases would make the best entry point into your work ?

No idea. ha. My recorded work tends to occupy two areas at the moment: "hnw" and more "electro-acoustic"/sound-y/collage-y stuff. To that extent, maybe my Altar Of Waste release, XVIII - Der Siebente Kontinent, is a fair point: It has tracks from both areas/approaches.

  
05 How do you record ? (live, sequencing, multi-tracking etc..)

Generally I record material and then construct tracks on computer, with further processing if necessary. So, it might be a simple one-take recording, finished; but more often it'll be a more complicated piece constructed out of multiple recordings, layers and events.

06 What is your favorite piece of gear ?

Truth be told, I don't really have a favourite and thats not a bad thing. I used to have a modulating delay pedal, which ended up on practically all of of my early recordings. It broke, then disappeared and after a while I realised that it was all for the good - I depended on it too heavily and it became a lazy short-cut to creating sounds I liked/enjoyed. So my set-up now changes from recording to recording; there are a few pedals which nearly always find their way into the chain (Meatbox, Thrashmaster), but no one piece of gear dominates my set-up.

I do have a beautiful parlour-sized resonator guitar tho, which I plan to play effortlessly when I'm an old man.

07 Do you play live ? How is it different from your releases ?

I play live now and then. there's very few opportunities to play locally, so it tends to be further afield. Live, theres increasingly been a "performance" angle to what I do. I'm obsessed with the idea of sound as a physical act, an extension of the body and given that hnw is/can be the antithesis of that, it sets up an interesting divide for me to bridge.

08 Who would you like to collab / make a split with ?

I've been lucky enough to do splits/collabs with some of my favourite noise folk (including the wonderful Skrobeks !), but since this question encourages me to dream: Kevin Rowland, Hevi, Dave Phillips, Mark E Smith, Shirley Collins, John Butcher, Witcyst, Omit, Diamanda Galas, Caroliner Rainbow, mr Aphex Twin, Ian Mackaye, Nicola Roberts…

09 Do you listen to other types of sound/music ? Which ones ?

I'll listen to anything - theres only two types: "good" and "bad" - but my interests have always gravitated to the more obscure corners and side-roads of genres (for whatever reason). Historically, my obsessions have included:  early '90s death / thrash, early '90s electronica (early Warp stuff) and trance (BEFORE it became a dirty word), '90s us lo-fi, turn of the century hardcore / emo (again, before it became shoot-me-in-the-face PISS) / powerviolence / doom / etc… since that time i've really listened to anything that resonates, which results in the dilemma of not being able to keep abreast of "everything". so, whilst I listen to a pretty wide range of stuff, I only really keep a close eye on HNW, to be honest. increasingly I've been getting more and more re-issues actually - mainly compilations of 78's from around the world, and more academic, electroacoustic stuff.

10 What is your favorite record at the moment ?

current joy:

Sleaford Mods - Austerity Dogs
K.S. Chithra with Ilaiyaraaja (Finders Keepers) - incredible songs from soundtracks to 80's Tamil
films. The kind of album that suggests novelty / exotica, but actually its just plain fucking amazing.
Henri Chopin - Audiopoems
The Drones - I See Seaweed
Nurse Unit - Town Life

...and I've finally had a PE epiphany. knocked flat by:

Grunt - Seer Of Decay
V/A - United Forces Of Industrial 2014 - Hatred Is Nothing Without Action


Clive Henry's website is HERE

THIS is Bang The Bore's website

...and HERE is House Of Violence, Clive's Distro (with amazing US titles made available to people in Europe despite the crazy postage rates)

No comments:

Post a Comment