Wednesday, July 2, 2014

The Static Park Questionnaire 10 - Tomb Of Trinkets


01 What is your name / age / nationality ?

Ryne Barber / 25 / USA

02 How did you get into noise ?
 
It began as a bit of an obsession around the time I was downloading from Soulseek and the RAWRshare forums. I was really interested in the aesthetics of Merzbow, Wolf Eyes, Sunn 0))), yet I couldn’t see myself listening to it on a regular basis. But I began to force myself to listen to the more accessible stuff from Wolf Eyes and Black Dice; Burned Mind and Merzbow’s Timehunter were my first forays because they fit my interests in regular music. Then I branched out into harsher Merzbow, Dead Machines, and other things I could collect on Soulseek. Eventually I found Werewolf Jerusalem’s In Horror because of its aesthetic, and was admittedly quite annoyed with its relative lack of change. Then harsh noise wall became an obsession.
 
03 How did you chose the name of your project / What does it mean to you ?

Tomb of Trinkets was my third project after Hearse Fetish became somewhat hard to continue - not only because of the confines and restrictions I placed on myself when recording, but also because live recording became impossible once I moved. Tomb of Trinkets was originally devised as a way to digitally manipulate and alter some of my favorite tracks, making them into very raw harsh noise wall, and the first release was simply grindcore tracks re-imagined and processed into walls. This is where the trinkets came into play - the sounds were plundered from other artists, often mere snippets of track, and then reused. That’s still the case as the project has morphed, but now I’m using mostly found sounds or physically manufactured sounds that have been heavily manipulated.

04 Which one of your releases would make the best entry point into your work ?

While Sweet Sound’s Chasm was the first release of the project, the sound has differed significantly in my next two releases.


I would suggest Drugged Lunch for the rawer, HNW/power electronics stylings that I have been exploring of late for this project - this is where the overpowering vocals and rhythmic destructive bent come into play.

 
05 How do you record ? (live, sequencing, multi-tracking etc..)

Most of the time I sample lots of sounds, remix and alter them, and layer them into the recording. A lot of these are created and recorded first, either with synth or drums or found sounds. I will usually record vocals last, depending on where I want them in the mix.

06 What is your favorite piece of gear ?
They are not actually a piece of gear but I love my digital synths which I use a lot, either the free AudioSauna studio or the Alchemy Synth app on the iPad.

07 Do you play live ? How is it different from your releases ?

I don’t play live; where I live, we have very few venues devoted to regular music, let alone noise. With that said, while I would consider doing my other HNW projects live, I doubt I would ever do a Tomb of Trinkets set.

08 Who would you like to collab / make a split with ?

Anyone who would be interested !

09 Do you listen to other types of sound/music ? Which ones ?

I’m all over the place. I love grindcore, death metal, powerviolence, but also 90s emo and the new revival bands. I’m always a sucker for Cursive.

10 What is your favorite record at the moment ?

That’s a tough once since I’m so eclectic, but I’d have to say that I have been thoroughly enjoying You Blew It!’s newest album Keep Doing What You’re Doing.


Links:

No comments:

Post a Comment