Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Static Park Questionnaire 12 - Willowbrook

Willowbrook

01 What is your name / age / nationality ?

My name's Kenneth Parker, I'm twenty six years old, and I'm American, whatever that means.

02 How did you get into noise ?

I became accepting of harshness during my early adolescence with raw black metal and various kinds of punk, then some krautrock and random bands integrating non-music, though I didn't realize that it was its own field at the time.

03 How did you choose the name of your project / What does it mean to you ?

The Willowbrook State School was a state operated institution for the developmentally disabled children of New York and the greater United States. Located on Staten Island, and it too being something like the offspring of a toxic and malformed society, decay soon came upon the school. It became overcrowded and was grossly understaffed by men and women who were seriously underpaid. Abuse and inhuman treatment, really not at all different from the kind you see in archival footage of concentration camps. Geraldo Rivera, famed journalist, spearheaded an investigation of Willowbrook that became a documentary short called The Last Disgrace.

04 Which one of your releases would make the best entry point into your work ?

As the majority of my back catalog is comprised of HNW, I'd say the Vicious Perversion and Disregard CD-R.
 

05 How do you record ? (live, sequencing, multi-tracking etc..)

I run from my mixer to USB port, and record one live track for some songs, whereas others require multiple tracks. It really depends on what I have in mind for the song, which is usually nothing, to begin with.

06 What is your favorite piece of gear ?

Undoubtedly, and this may seem odd, but my Behringer mixer. I require it every single time I use a chain; it's the final lock, the last keyhole. Unity or not, I'm always looking for ways to maximize what I can pump through the thing.

07 Do you play live ? How is it different from your releases ?

Yes, I play live regularly, something like once a month. I have a more complex setup live, believe it or not, because everything is being actualized (or channeled) in real time, with no chance for fine tuning. I'm not typically the kind of performer that improvises a set, even if it's wall-centric. I've really come to see it as a kind of sound design. The live environment is also where I try out new ideas, which then find their way onto splits and demos and what not. This order is rarely reversed.

08 Who would you like to collab / make a split with ?

All of my friends' projects, really. And Lou Reed.

09 Do you listen to other types of sound/music ? Which ones ?

I'm a long time black metal enthusiast, and take part in the genre via many other projects, most recently Grst.

10 What is your favorite record at the moment ?

The forthcoming Gorked 8 track tape I Cannot Control Myself from H8-Track Stereo. It's truly fucked.

The Willowbrook Bandcamp is HERE 
and HERE is Glossolalia record's Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment